CLOSED Title: Environmental Scientist
Posting Date: 5-21-20
Full Time / Part-Time: Seasonal
Schedule: 60+ hours per week when in the field
Location: Anchorage, AK and field locations
Reports to: The General Manager, Talarik Research & Restoration Services
Apply at: HERE
Contact Info: (907)274-2433; Greg Dubois
We are seeking a motivated Environmental Scientist with 2+ years of experience in environmental restoration projects, preferably for United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), or other federal and state government agencies. Prospective candidates must have experience with site investigation, characterization, and remediation projects regulated by ADEC and/or EPA. The work will be a combination of office and field activities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Collaborates with the Lead Environmental Scientist to execute approved work plans
• Performs data collection, site investigation, evaluation of data collected, and remediation activities to support project objectives.
• Conducts soil and groundwater sampling activities
• Assists with conducting field surveys using Trimble and Rover or equivalent
• Assists in preparing deliverables with quality supporting documentation (site figures, appendices)
MUST BE ABLE TO WORK INDEPENDENTLY.
• Must have experience in environmental fieldwork in remote Alaska including excavation work
• Must have good communication skills
• Must be proficient with Microsoft office products.
• Must be highly organized.
Education & Certifications:
• BS or BA in a science or engineering field.
• Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC) Qualified Sampler
• Must have or be willing to obtain 40-Hour HAZWOPER certification and/or 8-hour refresher as appropriate
• HAZWOPER physical
• Pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen
• Pre-employment criminal background history check
Works inside and outside. Ability to bend, reach, lift and carry up to 25 lbs. Can work effectively and safely in cold conditions. Can wear a respirator.
Alaska Peninsula Corporation (APC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, APC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
APC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of APC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
APC family of companies’ practices shareholder, shareholder spouse, descendant, and Native preference as allowed by public law.
APC is an “At-Will” employer, as allowed by regulation.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.