South Naknek

The village of South Naknek is a fishing community that was permanently settled in the modern era during the advent of Bristol Bay’s commercial salmon fishery in 1890.  The village site is believed to date back as far as 6,000 years.

To this day, South Naknek remains home to Alaska’s oldest and longest running fish plant facility, “Diamond NN”, or simply “<NN>”.  Many of the village’s residents are descended from those who fled the massive 1912 volcanic eruption of “Novarupta’, the largest volcanic eruption of the 20th century.  Many others are survivors of the 1919 Spanish Flu pandemic which ravaged many village’s throughout Bristol Bay.

South Naknek is located 297 miles southwest of Anchorage, on the south bank of the Naknek River. South Naknek it made up of a total of 97.5 square miles, 95.0 square miles of land and 2.5 square miles of water. APC owns a total of 87,010 acres around South Naknek.

South Naknek is a predominant mixture of Aleut (Sugpiaq) and Yupik descendants.  According to the census of 2000 there were 137 people, 46 households and 33 families residing in South Naknek with a population density of 1.4 people per square mile. Of those 137 people 83.94% are Alaska Native/Native American, 13.14% were white, 1.46% black or African American, 73% Pacific Islander, 2.19 % were Hispanic or latino of any race.

 

Click here for the South Naknek Land Status Map in PDF