Position: Sr. General Ledger Accountant
Department: Finance and Accounting
Market Title: Accountant
Reports to: Corporate Controller
Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Job Closing: Open until filled
Under the direction of the CFO, the Sr. GL Accountant ensures that general ledger and fixed asset accounting for parent and subsidiary companies is performed in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the Corporation’s established policies and procedures in a multiple company environment.
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to: (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.)
• Prepares financial statements and supporting schedules according to monthly close plan.
• Assist in monthly general ledger detailed reviews to ensure that all financial transactions are accurately recorded.
• Maintain lists of recurring entries and reconciliations required for a timely and effective close of corporate and subsidiary companies
• Reconcile bank statements to ensure cash receipts and disbursements are recorded properly.
• Prepare recurring and non-recurring general journal entries.
• Prepare other general ledger entries, including month end accruals, as needed to ensure accuracy and integrity of financial data.
• Prepare or oversee the daily central treasury entries for subsidiary companies and weekly entries for health insurance account.
• Compiles and analyzes financial information to record transactions, prepare reports, and review and verify accuracy.
• Prepares balance sheet reconciliations, profit and loss statements, consolidated financial statements, and other accounting schedules and reports.
• Prepares forecasts and reports detailing revenues and expenses by cost center.
• Analyzes financial statements and investigates and reports on variances.
• Assists with preparations for the annual audit.
• Corresponds with other departments to ensure proper accounting for revenue, purchases and expenses. May design, modify, install, and/or maintain accounting systems to ensure an adequate recognition of financial transactions.
• Responsible for the adherence to and communication of accounting and auditing policies and procedures.
• Set up ACH and wire transactions as requested
• Maintain fixed asset system including additions and disposals for corporate and subsidiary assets.
• Assist with the shareholder distribution process steps directly related to bank file load for pre-notes and distributions.
• Provide secondary support to accounts payable and accounts receivable functions
• Provide oversight of work related to central treasury entries, scanning of journal entries and reconciliations and monthly entries for all entities.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability:
• Undergraduate degree with a major in accounting or finance.
• Minimum of five (5) years of accounting experience; preference for general ledger accounting experience.
• Working knowledge in Microsoft Office suite of products; Word, Excel, Outlook.
• Working knowledge in various accounting software; Deltek Costpoint
• Solid understanding of accounting principles (GAAP), procedures, and terminology.
• Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and project accounting.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to effectively communicate with individuals across different company departments with varying levels of accounting knowledge.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet multiple deadlines.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team.
• Manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard and standard office equipment.
• Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week if necessary.
• Ability to sit and review information on a computer screen for long periods of time (up to 10 hours a day with lunch and breaks).
• Must be able to withstand repetitive motion up to 10 hours a day with lunch and breaks.
Office Location and Travel:
This position is located in Anchorage, Alaska.
Occasional travel to other local and out of state business sites, conferences and meetings may be required.
This job operates in a professional office environment and has a noise level of mostly low to moderate. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The work load may require the incumbent to sit for extended periods of time. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.